Here are some super tips to inspire your children to love reading:
- Be a good reading role model: Make sure your child sees you reading often, even if it’s a magazine.
- Make reading fun by reading books your children enjoy.
- Read at the same time of day or in the same place, so your child knows the routine.
- Promise to buy your children the books they want.
- Set up 20 minute read-a-thons.
- Take your child to the library.
- Give books as a gift to them, and other friends.
- Always read out loud to your children, even if they’re old enough to read to themselves.
- Add drama to stories to make them more exciting.
- Bring books to life, by doing activities like crafts, cooking, and trips related to the book.
- Put labels all over the house, and get your children to read them regularly.
- If your child asks a factual question, look up the answer together.
- Have your child to describe to you what’s happening on the pages.
- Encourage your child to ask questions.
- Keep it short with toddlers. Keep reading to them even while they play.
- Try rhyming books, to help develop their ear.
- Have your child draw the characters.